mod_security2

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Jul 14 13:59:56 UTC 2007

Bazy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Do any of you use mod_security2?
>
> An article just came up on HowToForge about it, and I'm skeptic about installing it on my FreeBSD box.
> Is mod_security2 ok? Will it load the CPU? Will it make apache22 slow?
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_mod_security_debian_etch "ModSecurity is an Apache module that provides intrusion detection and prevention for web applications. It aims at shielding web applications from known and unknown attacks, such as SQL injection attacks, cross-site scripting, path traversal attacks, etc."

I used to have mod_security (the original one, not 2) on my debian
server. It works great, the increase in security outweighs the few more
resources the server needs. Will it slow you down? That depends on your
hardware and the amount of traffic you are receiving. Mine was (is) a
small web server and there was no noticeable performance penalty from
mod_security. And it does all that is promised in the article you found.
In fact I was tempted to move to mod_security2 when I upgraded my apache
server, but mod_security2 has different directives / rules and could not
find a good tutorial at the time to convert my original rules.