Intel G965 chipset?

Ivan Carey ivan at careytech.com.au
Sat Jul 14 01:04:52 UTC 2007

Bruce Caruthers wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I am in the process of replacing my old, formerly
> solidly reliable 4.2 RAID server.  I've been eyeing
> the Intel DG965WH motherboard and its kin, but from
> my searches of the mailing list archives, it seems
> unclear whether it will work.  There were several
> postings with workarounds (e.g. turn off ACPI, the
> marvell_pata patch, etc.) but no followup postings
> to indicate whether any of that worked...
>

> === My Question:
> So, can I use an Intel motherboard with the 965
> chipset?  If not, what is the latest chipset I can
> use which will meet my needs?
>

> === My needs are:
> * long-term reliable (current system is 7 years old)
> * 6+ SATA with RAID 1 (RAID 5 would be nice, but
>   not required -- old server is just RAID 1 with
>   a Highpoint 370 on an Abit BX133 mobo)
> * Firewire for removable "snapshot" drives
> * Preferably PCI-e/Express, since that seems to be
>   the near-future for later expansion
> * Being able to use non-SATA CD/DVD drive for
>   installs and perhaps experimenting with BSD DVD
>   burning tools
> * Unless I do the DVD burning stuff, CPU doesn't
>   matter to me (currently using Celeron 766MHz on
>   old server, with 256 MB RAM, and only noticed
>   when rebuilding a kernel)
> * I don't care about audio, and just need basic
>   text-mode VGA, since this will sit in my basement.
>

> === OS:
> If it matters, I'll be moving from 4.2 to I guess
> 6.2 with this (clean install).  I've used pre-1.0
> FreeBSD/386BSD up through 4.10, but haven't messed
> with 5.x or newer yet.  Any major gotchas I should
> be aware of?
>

> Sorry for being long-winded.  Just want to be clear
> on what my concerns are, so I don't waste anyone's
> time.  :)
>
> Thanks!
>    -bkc
> --
> Bruce Caruthers			http://www.BruceCaruthers.com/

Hello Bruce,
I'm no expert but when I asked similar questions about this board and a
server board I found this information:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/06/intel_launches_p965/
The 965 motherboard uses the ICH8 chipset

FreeBSD ata(4) supports the ICH8
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ata&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE

Intel Technical doc
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/wh/wh_documentation.htm

So it looks like the 965 motherboard should work under FreeBSD 6.2

Ivan