is is able to setting up DNS server reverse lookup with DynamicIP?

Dan Casey dcasey at debtresolve.com
Fri Jul 13 17:44:18 UTC 2007

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2007, at 10:09 PM, vuthecuong wrote:
>> I just confirm only:
>>
>> I'm using dynamicDNS, so I will able to specify the forward *AND*
>> reverse lookups?
>
> No.  Reverse lookups are controlled by whoever owns the IP delegation
> for the netblock in question, and they are not going to configure PTR
> records for dynamic IPs.  If you want to have reverse lookups you
> control, you'll need to get static IPs.

Slight correction.  To do what you want, you will need to get a static
ip.  Then you can request your isp (or whoever owns the ip block) to
setup the PTR record for you.

> *whois -a 192.41.170.214*

OrgName:    Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID:      APNIC
Address:    PO Box 2131
City:       Milton
StateProv:  QLD
PostalCode: 4064
Country:    AU

ReferralServer: whois://whois.apnic.net

NetRange:   192.41.170.0 - 192.41.170.255
CIDR:       192.41.170.0/24
NetName:    APNIC-ERX-192-41-170-0
NetHandle:  NET-192-41-170-0-1
Parent:     NET-192-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Early Registrations, Transferred to APNIC
Comment:    This IP address range is not registered in the ARIN database.
Comment:    This range was transferred to the APNIC Whois Database as
Comment:    part of the ERX (Early Registration Transfer) project.
Comment:    For details, refer to the APNIC Whois Database via
Comment:    WHOIS.APNIC.NET or http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois2.pl
Comment:    ** IMPORTANT NOTE: APNIC is the Regional Internet Registry
Comment:    for the Asia Pacific region.  APNIC does not operate networks
Comment:    using this IP address range and is not able to investigate
Comment:    spam or abuse reports relating to these addresses.  For more
Comment:    help, refer to http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/abuse
RegDate:    2005-01-31
Updated:    2005-01-31

OrgTechHandle: AWC12-ARIN
OrgTechName:   APNIC Whois Contact
OrgTechPhone:  +61 7 3858 3100
OrgTechEmail:  search-apnic-not-arin at apnic.net

> *whois -h WHOIS.APNIC.NET 192.41.170.214*
% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum:      192.41.170.0 - 192.41.170.255
netname:      AIT-CS-NET
descr:        imported inetnum object for AIT-4
country:      TH
admin-c:      KK705-AP
tech-c:       KK705-AP
status:       ASSIGNED PORTABLE
remarks:      ----------
remarks:      imported from ARIN object:
remarks:
remarks:      inetnum:     192.41.170.0 - 192.41.170.255
remarks:      netname:     AIT-CS-NET
remarks:      org-id:      AIT-4
remarks:      status:      assignment
remarks:      rev-srv:     CS4.CS.AIT.AC.TH
                           NS.THNIC.NET
                           NS.UU.NET
remarks:      tech-c:      KK96-ARIN
remarks:      reg-date:    1988-07-08
remarks:      changed:     hostmaster at arin.net 19950525
remarks:      source:      ARIN
remarks:
remarks:      ----------
notify:       kk at cs.ait.ac.th
mnt-by:       APNIC-HM
changed:      hostmaster at arin.net 19950525
changed:      hm-changed at apnic.net 20041222
source:       APNIC

person:       Kanchana Kanchanasut
address:      Asian Institute of Technology
              Km 42 Paholtothin Road
              Pratumthani Province
country:      TH
phone:        +662 5245703
e-mail:       kk at cs.ait.ac.th
nic-hdl:      KK705-AP
remarks:      ----------
remarks:      imported from ARIN object:
remarks:
remarks:      poc-handle:  KK96-ARIN
remarks:      is-role:     N
remarks:      last-name:   Kanchanasut
remarks:      first-name:  Kanchana
remarks:      street:      Asian Institute of Technology
                           Km 42 Paholtothin Road
                           Pratumthani Province
remarks:      country:     TH
remarks:      mailbox:     kk at cs.ait.ac.th
remarks:      bus-phone:   +662 5245703
remarks:      reg-date:    1992-11-23
remarks:      changed:     hostmaster at arin.poc 19921123
remarks:      source:      ARIN
remarks:
remarks:      ----------
notify:       kk at cs.ait.ac.th
mnt-by:       MNT-ERX-ASIANINSTIOFTECHN-NON-TH