GELI cripto USB disk and fsck

DSA - JCR juancr at dsa.es
Wed Jul 11 11:13:40 UTC 2007

HI all

FreeBSD 6.2 i386

I have an USB disk cryptografied with GELI in order to get external backup
copies of an enterprise.

All work fine till somebody (not me ;D), reboot the computer (I think so)
without unmounting the disk and then I get two things:

1.- The main filesystem / get overfilled, it was 108% used !! because the
USB disk files were in the mounted directory (/usb2). My question is, how
is this possible? it was full and more, where were the files??

I reboot the system after delete the files in the /usb2 directory, i
prefer to save the / filesystem.

2.- When I try to mount (after this) the USB disk it says that I must use
fsck because thera are problems in the disk (logic), but I don't find any
utility to run a fsck in a GELI cryptografied disk (or without crypto).
What can I do? I haven't see nothing in the handbook or man pages about
fsck on GELI disks.

3.- Also, I have a problem after this, when I try to use smbutil to
connect to Windows computers, i can't, i get an kernel error saying that
"smb_util_xxx is not in the kernel" (something like that, I don't have
here the exact message now). How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance
Sincerely

Juan Coruña
Desarrollo de Software Atlantico