finding the USB drive name, mounting and formatting

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed Jul 11 09:32:05 UTC 2007

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hi there again,
>

>>> Thank you for your answer. I do have da0s1 but
>>> mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usbck
>>> mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: Invalid argument
>>>
>>> Also, it is not a flash drive, it is an external USB drive with IDE hd
>>>
>> in
>>
>>> it (80 GB).
>>>
>>> I will skip formatting as I can see your point. Thanks!
>>>
>>> Zbigniew Szalbot
>>>

>> If it is a large hard disk, then it is probably worth it to make a UFS
>> filesystem on it.
>> You can do this very easily by running sysinstall. You will then have a
>> /dev/da0s1d to mount
>> In fact you may like to try mounting it as /dev/da0s1d right now and see
>> what happens...
>>

> No such file or directory when I ls /dev/da0sld
>
> I am sure I have /dev/da0s1 on my system and it seems to be the 80GB USB
> drive as confirmed by sysinstall (btw the system thinks it is a SCSI drive
> then?). But back to this error:
>
>  mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usbck
> mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: Invalid argument
>
> When I try mount -a /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usbck, I get:
> mount: /dev/da0s1 on /mnt/usbck: incorrect super block

Tried mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1d /mnt/usbck ?
> Can you still help? :)
>
> Thank you!
>
> Zbigniew Szalbot

Yes, external USB disks / flash drives are handled as SCSI by the
kernel, and you are right the da0 is your disk.
Is ls /dev/da0s* showing anything else except da0s1 as a result? I am in
front of my FreeBSD system right now, and I have (a UFS formatted)
external 250Gb disk on it, I can see da0s1d on ls /dev/da0s*
As an afterthought, and maybe dumb question, are you certain the disk is
fat formatted and not someting else (i.e. NTFS)?