Detecting CPU Type

Rob r17fbsd at xxiii.com
Tue Jul 10 20:42:17 UTC 2007

Olivier Regnier wrote:
> I searching to find information about my CPU type.
> i have this: CPU: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ (1600.06-Mhz 686-class CPU)
> I must configure my CPUTYPE?= in /etc/make.conf.
> I'ts i686 (686-class) or i386 ?

"i386" is the architecture;  it includes all the similar processors including the 486, Pentiums, Athlon, etc.   Other architectures are completely different hardware, eg Sun's SPARC.

The 686-class is the specific processor within the i386 architecture.  if you look in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf you'll see a list of options for CPUTYPE.  athlon-xp might be the closest to your cpu.  However, some folks here recommend against using overly specific cpu optimization.  You can go safe and just use pentium4

  -RW