make package-recursive

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Tue Jul 10 10:51:09 UTC 2007

Nejc Škoberne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to create a custom set of packages, so that they will
> be installable to my other FreeBSD boxen.
>
> As I understand, I have to use 'make package-recursive', but I have
> some problems with it:
>
> 1. Is there a way to tell 'make package-recursive' not to _install_
>    package, but only build it? It is annonying and time-consuming
>    to deinstall every package after it is installed.
> 2. To refer to the previous point: I need to deinstall the packages
>    which I 'make package-recursive'-ed before, or else some other
>    package which also depends on a port which is already installed
>    will not include that (already installed) package. How to change
>    this behaviour? I would like that the packages, which I create
>    via 'make package-recursive', _always_ include _all_ other
>    dependent packages.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> P.S.: Do you guys have any scripts for building a customized package
> set?
>
> Bye,
> Nejc

There is another little know way to create packages, assuming you have
them already installed on the source machine: The pkg_create command. It
can create installation packages from the already installed ones. Even
better, it can create all dependency packages as well in one go with the
-R option. For example, in my test machine I have the xorg 7.2
installed. I can create packages for the whole system with:

pkg_create -Rb xorg-7.2

You have to get the exact name of the  installed pkg using the pkg_info
or pkg_version command, i.e. in the above example pkg_info |grep -i xorg
The utility creates the packages in the directory you are currently in.
I usually do this /usr/ports/packages

I used it last week to create packages for sudo, bash, xorg, xfce,
portupgrade and others all of which installed without a hitch on my
other machines. In fact I plan to create custom CDs with latest packages
to use on my new BSD installations and spare the endless
download-compile cycle...

Hope this helps,
Manolis