FreeBSD 6.2 Repeating Crash - Sleeping thread; Fatal trap 12: page fault; warning: 'T2' might be used uninitialized - SOLUTION

Worth Bishop wbishop at twosensemedia.com
Fri Jul 6 20:26:36 UTC 2007

We finally determined the root of this problem. One of the system's memory
modules was apparently going bad. When it failed permanently, the system
crashed and would not reboot. We swapped out the memory (all Regsistered
memory) and have not had problems since.

Thanks to the list for the efforts!

WB

(Below is a reply drafted a  long while back - included mostly to thank
Beto...the rest of it is no longer relevant.)

Thank you very much for your reply, Beto.

I appreciate your point re:  drive age. I only mentioned it because I had
stated the age of the server at 5 years and hoped to forestall suggestions
that an older drive might be likely to have issues. However, I did follow
your suggestion and smartctl reports the drive to be in good health.

I misspoke - we did not upgrade, really, but did a fresh install of 6.1 on
the new drive and manually copied all user files, databases, PERL scripts,
etc. to the new drive. We had been running 4.7 and, since there was not a
direct route for upgrading, we did it the hard way.

Your advice re: copying & renaming GENERIC is well taken - that is, in fact,
exactly what we did. Further, as advised in the manual, we moved it from
/usr/src to a different directory and created a sym link to avoid
inadvertently overwriting it. We did not rename the ident line, but it seems
unlikely that that oversight would prevent the kernel from making.

Were any of the errors described familiar?