if_lagg(4) and rc.conf

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu Jul 5 19:51:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 03:10:05PM -0400, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 July 2007 02:35:16 pm Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> > I'm trying to configure a lagg(4) interface out of rc.conf.  FreeBSD
> > doesn't want to initialize the interface at boot.  I'm obviously
> > missing some little thing.  I'm successfully loading if_lagg into the
> > kernel, so that's not the problem.
> >
> > I can configure the interface at the command line if I do a "ifconfig
> > lagg0 create" and then enter the configuration, but there doesn't seem
> > to be a rc.conf flag to tell the system to create an interface?
> >
> > Here's my rc.conf for these interfaces:
> >
> > ifconfig_em3="up"
> > ifconfig_em7="up"
> > ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport em3 laggport em7 10.184.1.19
> > netmask 0xffff0000"
>
> I haven't played with if_lagg yet, but you should be able to use the
> cloned_interfaces knob in /etc/rc.conf to create the interface. e.g.:
>
> cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
> ifconfig_em3="up"
> ifconfig_em7="up"
> ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport em3 laggport em7 10.184.1.19 \
> 	netmask 0xffff0000"
>
> if_lagg(4) mentions this briefly (at the end before the examples)

This last bit, of course, was the key to the whole thing.

I don't know how many times I looked at the man page without seeing
that.  Thanks for pointing it out.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
      Coming Soon: "Absolute FreeBSD" -- http://www.AbsoluteFreeBSD.com