/boot/device.hints only work for some devices in FreeBSD 6.2?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Thu Jul 5 12:15:54 UTC 2007

Dear list

I followed documents I found on the Internet which says by
editing /boot/device.hints I can assign IRQ or disable devices, and I
tried to do so, modification in /boot/device.hint do have effect over
some device, for example:

hint.fdc.0.disable="1"

but some seetings do not have effect, e.g.

hint.uhci.0.disable="1"

No matter what I set to uhci (irq, disable, port, at etc), none of them
works, next time the OS start it will always discover this device and
assign the same irq, same port:

[zhangweiwu at quasimodo ~]$ dmesg | grep hci
uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0x9000-0x901f irq 11 at device 6.2 on pci0
uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
[zhangweiwu at quasimodo ~]$

Where can I get knowledge of how device.hints works? e.g. maybe it can
only work with device that is not managed by a PNP BIOS or maybe it only
manage ISA devices but not PCI devices?

Thanks!