running portupgrade -a

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 22:19:24 UTC 2007

On 29/06/07, Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems like a lot of people keep their ports regularly up to date by just
> running portupgrade -a. I've seen it online, and in books.
>
> As /usr/ports/UPDATING is rather large, it seems impossible to look for
> potential issues with every package that you're going to upgrade. So, is
> running portupgrade -a a good idea, as you likely haven't checked for issues
> for your system?

I generally run pkg_version -vIL= after any portsnap
which gives me a simple list of things to upgrade.
Then, based on a lot of broken stuff over the years,
you can merrily pick your way through.  For something
like cairo or gtk* (or gettext), that many other things
depend upon I will run
# portupgrade -fr cairo
Part of this is the whole "upgrade once every couple
of weeks or oft'ner" so you don't get overwhealmed
by the number of upgrades at any time.
ports-mgmt/portmaster has a nifty feature in "-l" but
does not seem to have any equivalent to portupgrade -fr.