backing up dvds

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Jul 1 00:13:05 UTC 2007

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Jonathan Horne wrote:
>> On Saturday 30 June 2007 16:46:36 Dave wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>     I've got a 6.2 box with a dvd writer in it. I want to back up
>>> some dvds
>>> to iso files so i can recreate the dvds at a later time should it be
>>> needed. I can use dvdbackup to backup in to a directory structure,
>>> but i'd
>>> rather not mount, create the directory, and iso, i'd rather make the
>>> iso
>>> directly from the dvd. Any pointers on this?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Dave.
>>>

>> dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/path/to/filename.iso bs=1024
>>
>> this is how i make my .iso files of data disks.
>>
>> cheers,
>>

> Both previous answers assume that you're not trying to backup
> copyrighted CDs. In that case you need to deCSS them first, but you're
> on your own with that.

Which is technically trivially done with:
    /usr/ports/sysutils/vobcopy
if:
   /usr/ports/multimedia/libdvdread
is compiled with:
   /usr/ports/multimedia/libdvdcss/
support...

... assuming it is legal where you live, or you own the copyright
of some CSS-scrambled content, of course. ;-)

But it won't give you an ISO yet; though backing
that stuff up with growisofs is easy enough.

> -Garrett

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/