man sysinstall

Jared Barneck rhyous at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 04:05:40 UTC 2007

--- Jared Barneck <rhyous at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Ceri Davies wrote:

> > date.  I
> install.

> > kernels
> not
> > in the

> update.

> > and send me the number?
> > >>>
> I sent in a PR.  Let me know if you don't get it.

> an
> > unattended
> > sysinstall
> > Originally I started
> perhaps
> > a patch,
> > >>

> > >I can't speak for 5.x because I didn't really run
> > it, but this worked
> > >for 6.x a year ago:
> > http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/02/12/
> > >

> > I am actually pxe booting to it now.  However, I
> am
> > using pxe-1.4.2
> > instead of having it all in the dhcp config.
> >
> > Also, I saw a not that the floppy drive is not
> > working.  I couldn't get
> > it to work either.  I am doing this all PXE style.
> >
> I was using FreeBSD, isc-dhcp-server, pxe-1.4.2, and
> tftp and ftp from inetd to pxe boot and didn't
> really
> try the floppy so I tried the floppy.
>
> I have tested two separate hardware machines and
> VMWare  5.d and I cannot get the floppy to detect
> and
> read the install.cfg.  I have tried both MS-DOS
> floppy
> and a floppy formatted with UFS, so I am guessing
> this
> is broken too.
>
> So with the PXE solution, I have almost everything
> working: I cannot get the machine to automatically
> reboot.  This is the one last thing I need for full
> automation.
>
> So it looks like there are three issues that some of
> us who "donate time" could address:
>
> 1. Update man sysinstall which I submitted a PR for.
> 2. Fix the floppy not being detected.
> 3. Figure out how to reboot once the unattended
> install completes.

I found the answer for how to reboot in the code.  To
reboot add the following to the end of the
install.cfg:

shutdown

I found it in this source file:
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/dispatch.c

This source file has a list of a lot of the functions
that can be called in the install.cfg. Even though the
function is called "shutdown" it is a reboot not a
shutdown, which is perfect because I wanted it to
reboot.

Also, I found that a lot of variables are in this
file:
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/sysinstall.h

I will try write a few changes to the man page, and
send it to you with a diff file and get you my working
install.cfg in my next email.