how to enable linux flash player in firefox

peter peter at topcomtech.com.cn
Tue Jan 30 04:48:41 UTC 2007

> Andreas Davour wrote:

> Sorry for being so lost. I'm totally lost in the native/emulated mess
> and which of the ports work with which.
>It's terribly sad that nobody can make it work, as of now. I really
>hope
>FreeBSD 7 can make a change.

I'm now using 6.2-PRERELEASE as the desktop with firefox
2,linux-flashplugin7. All work well.

That confused me for few days, now I write the detail steps for you.

1.Use portsnap update the ports tree.You can read the info from the
freebsd handbook, "Appendix A. Obtaining FreeBSD"

2.Install linux_base from /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-fc4,
In /etc/rc.onf, add the line: linux_enable="YES"

3.Install firefox2 from /usr/ports/www/firefox.

4.Install linuxpluginwrapper in /usr/ports/www/linuxpluginwrapper.
cp /usr/local/share/examples/linuxpluginwrapper/libmap.conf-FreeBSD6 /etc/libmap.conf

5.Install linux-flashplugin7 in /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin7.
   In handbook :
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so \
  /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/flashplayer.xpt \
  /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/

but firefox plugin directory is /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/, so you must change above line
/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/ to /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

6.Check the libexec directory exists in /usr/src,
  if no, #sysinstall-> custom->deistributions->src->libexec, then
 # cd /usr/src/libexec
 # fetch http://people.FreeBSD.org/~nork/rtld_dlsym_hack.diff
 # patch < rtld_dlsym_hack.diff
 # cd rtld-elf