Sorta OT - Backup solutions Mac to FreeBSD

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Mon Jan 29 22:00:51 UTC 2007

I've heard of many people having problems with RsyncX and the version
of rsync included in OS X crapping out and being unreliable.

RsyncX and the patched rsync (the former being a GUI for the CLI
rsync) that ships with OS X attempts to preserve resource forks and
other file metadata (a lot of it from the OS 9 era where this stuff
mattered). If you don't care at all about these attributes (I don't),
I would recommend building a copy of the stock rsync from Macports,
similar to FreeBSD ports in design: http://www.macports.org

Here is a partial (or possibly complete) list of file metadata that I
believe would be lost by using the stock rsync in OS X:

- get info/Finder comments (this has been replaced with Spotlight
comments in 10.4 which are saved to the Spotlight DB, not as file
metadata)

- application associations for files without file extensions

- application associations for many OS 9 files, since OS 9 did not
force file extensions and many users didn't bother with them

- custom icons pasted on