conflict between gimp-print and gutenprint

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Mon Jan 29 08:11:20 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am running FreeBSD 6.2 with CUPS and a printer--specifically an HP Color
LaserJet 5500-DN--that only seems to want to print with the Gutenprint port
installed.

Even with the Gutenprint port installed, I had to copy the PPD file over
from a Linux laptop to get color working.

Then I decided to install the Gimp.  The Gimp entails gimp-print which
conflicts with Gutenprint.  So I uninstalled Gutenprint.  And now I can't
get anything to print.

The CUPS job listing indicates the files have printed, but nothing has
in fact printed on the printer.

Given that gutenprint is supposed to be an upgrade from gimp-print, I'm
really not liking that I've broken printing just to get the Gimp in.

Does anyone have any insight as to how to get this working properly?

Thanks!

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---
Resume available at http://www.parts-unknown.org/
NOTE: I sign all messages with GnuPG (0DD1D1E3).