print quotas in CUPS

Grant Wagner kithera at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 17:52:43 UTC 2007

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> I am having difficulty installing cups and getting printing working on
> my Samsung ML-1710.  I've installed cups from port, and the splix
> driver from http://splix.ap2c.org/.  My printer shows up as /dev/ulpt0
> and running
>
>    echo "stuff" > /dev/ulpt0
>
> causes my printer to warm up, so I know at least I can write to the
> port and communication is working partially.  In the cups menu, I added
> the printer, and attempted to print a test page. I get an error
> message saying my quota is full.  Wierd as I don't have quota support
> on this machine.
>
> Any ideas?  Grant

I can't find any mention of "quota" in the web interface of CUPS running
on my laptop here.  There is a possibility that quota is enabled for
some printer, by setting options in the "printers.conf" file though.

Can you show us the contents of the file:

    /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf

from your system?

If it contains the options which enable quotas for a certain printer,
you should see something like `PageLimit', then this is the `quota' that
you see mentioned above.

- Giorgos

Here is my cups printers.conf file.

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.7
# Written by cupsd on 2007-01-27 17:30
<Printer laser2>
Info laser2
DeviceURI usb:/dev/ulpt0
State Idle
StateTime 1169882462
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
AllowUser root
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job
</Printer>

It appears that this too has no quota on it. Also, the job which I kicked off last night has been processing ever since.

I've included the error log for said job as well.

Thanks
Grant