original install date birth date

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 15:16:35 UTC 2007

On 28/01/07, RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN <luck at computerking.ca>
verquaecan:

> i have been running a bsd system since version 4
> something it has been up now for 372 days. I have
> done make world on it several times and am woun-
> dering how to find out the exact day i booted it and
> installed the os.

sysinstall usually puts some lines like:
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Fri Feb 10 17:39:11 2006
# Created: Fri Feb 10 17:39:11 2006
 in /etc/rc.conf.

Another file that rarely gets touched is /etc/resolv.conf,
so the date on that one may be useful.  Also, the creation
dates on your ssh keyfiles, files of the form:
/etc/ssh/ssh_host*
could date to the building of the system.

dr-xr-xr-x   6 root  wheel   512 Dec 31  1969 dev