Negation in tables for packet filter

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Jan 28 13:58:58 UTC 2007

Hi:

I want to create two tables in my packet filter, the first should match
any valid public ip, so I created a table negating anything reserved:

table <internet> const { !0/8 !10/8 !127/8 !169.254/16 !172.16/12 \
                    !192.0.2/24 !192.168/16 !198.18/15 !224/4 !240/4 }

So with the above I should be able to correctly NAT anything going to
the internet and the rest should not be NAT'ed - either it is locally
routable or should be blocked.

     to <internet> -> ($dsn_if)

This doesn't work as expected, instead I have to remove all negations in
the table and create a non-internet table and negate that in the nat
rule. Shouldn't they work equivalently? (I also want to use the
<internet> table in my filter rules, so I like to define a table).

The second should match unknown local hosts, I have three tables with
different registered hosts with different access levels, I want to
redirect unknown hosts to a page explaining what to do to get registered,

     to <internet> port http -> 127.0.0.1 port 8000

This doesn't work either, the table is expanded to four rdr rules, and
they are applied before the nat - even if I place it after in the
ruleset, so I can't just remove the !<table> and have the rdr catch up
all that is not nat'ed in the previous nat-rule.

So, how do I create my nat rules so they work as expected - or that is,
that work as I want?

Thanks, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org