FreeBSD 5.2.1 won't run with ATI RADEON

BrendaBPowers at aol.com BrendaBPowers at aol.com
Sun Jan 28 02:21:24 UTC 2007

Hello:

I am new to Unix and purchased a copy of FreeBSD 5.2.1 from Fry's to begin
learning. FreeBSD is used at my work and I wish to learn the OS myself. Hoping
that an integrated package would be easier to install and have all the packages
I needed, I bought this version.

My system is thus:
       - Compaq Presario with Pentium D
       - 512 MB ram
       - 200GB drive
       - ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 graphics card
       - NEC 1740CX multisync monitor

After installation the 'startx' command will not start the GUI KDE. I get an
error message ' no screens found'.

I have tried all the combinations of horizontal-vertical sync that are within
the range of my monitor but all fail. I have tried every one of the different
resolutions that are within the horizontal-vertical sync range of my monitor
but all fail. Here are additional problems:
       - The XFree86 installer has no entry for the ATI RADEON device
       - The XFree86 installer has no entry for the NEC 1740CX monitor

Since I am completely new to Unix I do not know how to send you the log file.
I am using a different system to install Unix than my Internet connected
system.

I am sure others have seen problems with the graphics portion of
installation. This must be a common problem. I had exactly the same problem installing
Suse Linux before trying to use FreeBSD. I found that with Suse, if I installed
at the lowest resolution the OS would resolve the problem during the first boot
and reset the resolution to the max. size. FreeBSD does not do this.

Can anyone help?

Brenda Powers