Moving to new disk - just new install + moving user data?

Jay Chandler chandler.lists at chapman.edu
Sat Jan 27 09:33:27 UTC 2007

Oliver Iberien wrote:
> In the FAQ, under 9.2, "How to I move my system over to my huge new disk?", it
> says: "The best way is to reinstall the OS on the new disk, then move the
> user data over." By "user data", does that mean /usr as a whole?
>
> It sounds like this would mean (for me, running 6.0/KDE at the moment),
> putting a (minimal?) install of 6.2 on the new drive, getting the peripherals
> and drivers sorted out, then using dump to move the contents of the old /usr
> to the new /usr.
>
> That can't really be it -- can it? And how does KDE fit into this -- can I
> just activate kdm after having transferred /usr over?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oliver

Well, if you're going to be migrating things, why not do this in two
parts, and make sure your source and target systems are at the same OS
revision level?

That'll catch out some problems you might not realize are there.

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University
714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
Today's Excuse: The file system is full of it