Spam and Viruses, Vandalism-l, the Mailing List from Hell.

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Jan 27 04:54:58 UTC 2007

--On January 26, 2007 10:16:57 PM -0600 Martin McCormick
<martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:

> 	Has anyone gotten the port
> /usr/ports/mail/antivirus-milter to work?
>
> 	The system in question runs FreeBSD5.4 with sendmail and
> bogofilter.  Bogofilter is excellent at helping sort messages in
> to spam or other folders if you generate a large wordlist.
>
> 	One category of junkmail, however, is not true spam.  It
> is more a form of hacking in that it tries to implant viruses
> like Johny Appleseed only this guy is Johny weedseed.
>
> 	I got antivirus-milter to make and install but it
> immediately failed when started:
>
> antivirus[53446]: externalcommand()
> failed to execve() /system/av/decullotage/uvscan

Uvscan is McAfee's antivirus product.  Did you install it?  There's a conf
file in the files directory of that port.  It defines AVSCANNER as
"/usr/local/bin/uvscan".  That would require that you have McAfee
Antivirus for FreeBSD installed.  If this machine handles lots of mail, I
wouldn't suggest you use that.  Uvscan launches a shell for each time it's
called, and it will suck a lot of cpu and memory (based on our extensive
comparison testing.)

I would recommend that you install either clamav (security/clamav) or your
school's commercial product *if* it has a daemon for FreeBSD.  If it's a
shell program like McAfee, I would *not* recommend it.

Once you have the av product installed, edit the conf file appropriately
and you should be up and running.  You'll find the conf file in
/usr/local/etc.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas