[Opinions Wanted] Dell PowerEdge 2950 Servers ...

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Jan 26 15:35:08 UTC 2007

In the last episode (Jan 26), chris neill said:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 09:41:19AM -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> > IMHO, the problem with Dell is not their hardware, but their
> > support (or lack of it).
>
> Ditto -- We had a (duh) PERC 3/di go south on a PE2550 and getting
> Dell to fix it was like pulling teeth. Once I finally leaned on them
> enough to get them to agree to an RMA, I had to wait until the next
> day for the part to be courried to my datacenter (which was a slight
> gaff, since they don't usually do S&R), and another couple of hours
> for the guy to show up.

Maybe it depends on you you end up talking to.  We recently had a PERC
4e/Di go bad in one of our PE2800s.  Dell sent us a new motherboard
same day and we replaced it ourselves in 2 hours (took so long only
because we had never done it before).  It did ship with an out-of-date
BIOS, though, so it took a while to flash everything up.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com