Blocking traffic by Mac address using IPFW

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Jan 25 14:22:34 UTC 2007

Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I need some help regarding using IPFW to block specific MAC addresses.
> How do I block incoming traffic by a MAC address instead of an IP
> address.
>
> Can this be done using IPFW? Since I am quite new to FreeBSD, can
> somebody shed some light on this issue?

Yes, it appears that ipfw(8) can do this --- check the manpage (quite a
ways down, in the RULE OPTIONS section [ about byte 45000] for full
details; note also that there may be other issues involved.  Here is a
short thread on the subject from a couple of years ago:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ipfw/2004-September/001375.html

Disclaimer: IANAE, and don't play one on television ;-)

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
Heisenberg may have been here.