Upgrading from 4 to 6

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Wed Jan 24 18:49:06 UTC 2007

With the EOL of FreeBSD 4.X coming close, I'm in the process of
upgrading to 6.2.  According to
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html#UPGRADE

   "Probably the most straightforward approach is that of ``backup
everything, reformat, reinstall, and restore user data''."

However, things are not that simple, because a system typically has many
configured files, other than user data.  I'm currently setting up a new
6.2 system on a VMWare host trying to mirror the existing system.

After a clean installation of 6.2, I also installed ports and some CPAN
modules.  I then configured the apache configuration files, the sendmail
local host file, the named masters and configuration file,
/etc/inetd.conf, /etc/rc.conf, and the imap certificates.  Just before
the switchoover, I'll also also need to copy the users parts of
/etc/passwd* and /etc/group, the mail aliases, the httpd logs, the user
mailboxes in /var/mail, and, of course, /home.

However, I have an uneasy feeling I may miss copying/adjusting some
files.  Although I've documented the changes I made to the original
system from 2002 onward, the documentation is a 1000-line file and I
can't be sure it is 100% complete or that I will spot all required changes.

Is there a checklist or a procedure for restoring a 4.X system
configuration to a system running 6.X?  Am I missing any obvious files
or directories I should copy over?

Diomidis Spinellis - http://www.spinellis.gr