SCSI not found during install - help!

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Jan 23 22:31:18 UTC 2007

You can play with your BIOS settings.  In the last part of the installer it
will give a list of found drives.  You should be using a generic kernel for
the install.

However in all this, with only 32 MB RAM, it seems a bit pointless.  You
would do better spending a few dollars for a more current system board you
can add some memory to, as you should have at LEAST 64 MB, but I rarely
have a system with less than 512 MB if not more.

         -Derek

At 02:32 PM 1/23/2007, John D. Reeve wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a system consisting of an Ampro
>Littleboard 486 with 32 Mb ram, a built-in Adaptec 6360 SCSI controller,
>an 18.2 Gb Quantum Atlas III SCSI drive (50 pin narrow), a 256 Mb IDE
>flash drive containing MS-DOS, and an IDE CD drive.  I want FreeBSD to
>take over the entire SCSI drive.  The SCSI drive has been low-level
>formatted using the software that came with the Ampro for the Adaptec
>controller.  I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.1 using three floppies (boot,
>kernel 1, kernel 2) and CD's containing the rest of the system.
>
>Here is the problem.  After booting with the floppies and getting to the
>point where I'm supposed to select the drive for FreeBSD, the install
>program doesn't see the SCSI drive.  It does see the IDE flash drive.  The
>odd thing is that under MS-DOS, the fdisk program finds the SCSI drive and
>allows me to partition it, at least a 230 Mb piece of it.  I can format
>this piece for DOS and copy files to it, so the drive does seem to be
>working.  I have the BIOS configured to see the SCSI as the second hard
>drive in the system.  According to the documentation with the Ampro, the
>BIOS can supposedly handle drives of this size or larger.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>
>Cheers,
>John R.
>
>--