rsync issues

Greg Albrecht gregoryba at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 22:20:10 UTC 2007

just to go through what i'd normally check:
1) make sure the source host is up at 100full
2) make sure the port the source host is plugged into is 100full
3) make sure the destination host is up at 100full
4) make sure the port the destination host is plugged into is 100full

given all of that, if you still have trouble you might want to start
doing some packet dumps and see if one host or the other are
terminating the connection:

$ tcpdump -n -vvv -s 1518

-g

On 23/01/07, Peter Pluta <peter at placidpublishing.net> wrote:
> I've gotten a few replies and i've tried almost all of the suggestions
> but the problem still resides. I re-installed rsync on both box's and it
> still does this.
>

> Peter Pluta wrote:
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Peter Pluta wrote:
> >> I have a win2k3 server running as my rsync server. I also have a
> >> freebsd web server being the rsync client. A shell script runs every
> >> night at 5am (it's below).
> >>
> >> Shell script:
> >>
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >> . `dirname $0`/settings.inc
> >> destination=**.***.***.***::backup
> >> if [ "$TERM" ]; then verbose=-v; fi
> >> rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /usr/local/etc/       $destination
> >> rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /usr/local/lib/sasl2/ $destination
> >> rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /var/cron/            $destination
> >> rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /root/                $destination
> >> rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after /etc/                 $destination
> >> rsync $verbose -azR --delete-after --exclude httpd-*.log $wwwDir/
> >> $destination
> >>
> >> After it runs for 5 minutes it throws this:
> >> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes [sender]:
> >> Broken pipe (32)
> >> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (54)
> >> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> >> io.c(613) [sender=2.6.9]
> >>
> >> Dmesg on the box only shows this:
> >> em0: promiscuous mode enabled
> >> em0: promiscuous mode disabled
> >>
> >> But that is probably pretty old.
> >>
> >> What can the problem be? backups are really important to me and they
> >> don't currently work as the transfer times out after the first few
> >> files.
> >>
> >> Anyone got an idea? Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly
> >> appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Peter

Greg Albrecht (gregoryba at gmail.com)
An Indie, Hip Hop and IDM Podcast: The Letter G
http://theletterg.org