virtual memory management

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sat Jan 20 22:15:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 08:57:27AM +0100, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there a FBSD command to manage virtual memory? I think my swap size is
> now a bit too much used:
>
> last pid: 19824;  load averages:  0.06,  0.05,  0.02   up 50+10:00:17
> 08:54:00
> 230 processes: 1 running, 227 sleeping, 2 zombie
> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.4% system,  0.8% interrupt, 98.8% idle
> Mem: 232M Active, 27M Inact, 91M Wired, 212K Cache, 60M Buf, 142M Free
> Swap: 512M Total, 482M Used, 29M Free, 94% Inuse
>
> The swap size usage grow so big probably because I started wget to
> download an iso image and then WinSCP to grab it from the FBSD machine to
> my laptop. When I started wget, the swap usage was around 19% and had been
> like that for many days.
>
> Is there any way to handle swap size usage other than restarting the box?

Don't forget that the system also pages to swap space and it takes the
attitude of parking as much as possible out there in case it comes in
to demand again.  Ten if it really needs the space for something, it
invalidates the oldest stuff and uses that space.

So, you should really expect that your swap space should be
nearly maxed all the time if things are working well.

Someone else can give you more accurate detailed information
if you want it.

////jerry