Libcap Installation Question

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 13:34:38 UTC 2007

linux quest wrote:
> When I am trying to install 'ngrep' in UNIX by issuing the 'make install clean' command in the ' /usr/ports/ngrep location ', I got an 'Error code 1'. It also states that there is a dependencies for pcap.2 which is not found in ' /usr/ports/net/libcap '

Firstly. Do you have the latest ports tree?
secondly are you running this as root (or via sudo)
secondly, what options did you choose when you ran 'make install clean'
  ie. i'm guessing you choose ports pcap.
Doing
'cd /usr/ports/net/ngrep && make '
myself gives

--------snip irrelevent bits---------------
===>   ngrep-1.45 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/libpcap.a - not found
===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/lib/libpcap.a in
/usr/ports/net/libpcap
=> libpcap-0.9.5.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> Attempting to fetch from http://www.tcpdump.org/release/.
libpcap-0.9.5.tar.gz                          100% of  423 kB   73 kBps

so you need /usr/local/lib/libpcap.a
and the port for this is /usr/ports/net/libpcap

I suggest you update your ports tree (cvsup or portsnap as you prefer)
and try again, otherwise choose base libpcap.
(copy and paste if you can cause you made a few typos in this email
which could have hindered troubleshooting)

Vince