Contributing to FreeBSD documentation (was: Re: no ath0 on new system with good card)

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Wed Jan 17 16:20:05 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2007-01-16 15:47, Steve Franks <stevefranks at ieee.org> wrote:
> > So, this is what I have so for.  It was a bit late at night, so I
> appologise
> > if my tone is a bit silly at times...where do we go from here?  Steve
>
> [snip nicely written stuff about freezes during installation and first
> post install steps]
>
> Fantastic!  This looks like something that would fit quite nicely with
> the section ``Installing FreeBSD > Troubleshooting'', in the Handbook.
>
> Do you mind if I integrate this with the section?  Does it look like the
> right place for you to write this stuff?  Will you be able to review it
> and let me know if it looks ok?

Sounds good to me.

You can read the current Handbook section at:

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-trouble.html

Hmmm.  Yes, I don't think the current page provides much actual help for
newbies.  Can we make sure to put links to all the appropriate man pages (
i.e. device.hints) in my text when we insert it?  I've found the man online
to be way more useful than I expected for people who are willing to read.
We also could use some driver gurus to make my list of things to disable,
and things to *not* disable both longer and correct - I admit I wrote that
on my windows box, because my laptop bios disables the system (on purpose)
when you put a non-compaq bsd-friendly network card in it.  Go big brother.
This is why I want to get the whole world to run *nix. </soapbox>

Regards,
> Giorgos

It occurs to me that a new option on the boot menu of the .iso installer
that opens a  version of this page in links or equiv might be most useful
for newbies (I'm at work, so I can't check if it's <it being a help option>
there already).  It might be useful to point to that doc if the .iso
installer is started in safemode as well.

Steve

--
Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer