Firefox mess in Freebsd 6.1

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 17 15:57:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Dak Ghatikachalam wrote:
> On 1/16/07, FreeBSD WickerBill <freebsdwicker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> or, look in /usr/local/lib/firefox/plugins/ and make sure the plugin
>> or a symlink exists.
>
> 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1
>
> I have these files in
>
> $ pwd
> /usr/local/lib/firefox/plugins
> $ ls -lrt
> total 2132
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2158864 Oct 27 16:42 libflashplayer.so
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel      856 Oct 27 16:42 flashplayer.xpt
> drwxr-xr-x  2 500   100        512 Dec  4 19:09 install_flash_player_7_linux
> $
>
> I need to try  the Warren's method  to see if that is going to help me,
> first of all I need to read man portupgrade to perform the upgrade from 6.1to
> 6.2 , as i am new into this freebsd world.

Please stop top-posting.  It makes replying to your messages difficult
and confusing.

I have not used /usr/local/lib/firefox/plugins.  My guess is that only
Firefox will look there.  /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins works for
Firefox, Seamonkey, Mozilla, and probably others.

The helpful web site used a roundabout way to set up the Flash plugin,
and linking the files is preferable to copying them into the plugins
directory.  A little less chance of a version mismatch after updating.

Portupgrade is used to upgrade ports, not the operating system.  The
Flash plugin will work under 6.1, so you don't have to update the
operating system.