Origin of LINT?

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Wed Jan 17 05:11:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>I know it's probably off-topic, but I've searched google for a bit with no
>results, and because I'm curious:
>
>Does anyone (maybe one of the old guard) know the origin of the term
>"lint" for the all-inclusive feature set.  I know SpamAssassin uses it as
>well (it's the command line argument to just regression-test everything).

I think the name came from removing the lint from a suit.  It's
designed to clean up code -- initially C.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

"If taxation without consent is robbery, the United States government
has never had, has not now, and is never likely to have, a single honest
dollar in its treasury." -- Lysander Spooner, Letter to Grover Cleveland 1886