FreeBSD 6.2 stable crasches when running dump on mounted snapshot.

Mattias Björk mattias.bjork at sydnet.net
Tue Jan 16 22:12:28 UTC 2007

Hi there,

When I run dump on a mounted snapshot, my machine panics with the error
that says the following:

"Fatal double fault"
"Panic: double fault"

I can run games in Windows fine and I run setiathome/boinc most of the
time in Windows when my computer is locked and I'm at work. No problem
there. It s no problem to "make buildkernel" and "make buildworld" with
-j2. It has never crashed because of load as I can remember.

Im running RAID-1 on this machine the hard disc are ad8xy and ad10xy and
I do mount everything via the RAID array called ar0xy. My motherboard is
an Asus A8N5X and I'm using the on board S-ATA controller for my hard
discs.

I have tried and changed my /etc/fstab so that they mount it from either
ad8xy or ad10xy instead ( root usr var etc..) But that does not still
help me with the problem.

I would be happy to provide more info if you want to, so please let me
know it I'm missing some crucial information. Or perhaps if I should try
another mailing list then this one.

Below here is my kernel config and make.conf.

KERNEL:

machine		i386
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		BARABO

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints		"GENERIC.hints"		# Default places to look for devices.

#makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		# Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

options 	SCHED_4BSD		# 4BSD scheduler
options 	PREEMPTION		# Enable kernel thread preemption
options 	INET			# InterNETworking
options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	SOFTUPDATES		# Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	UFS_ACL			# Support for access control lists
options 	UFS_DIRHASH		# Improve performance on big directories
options 	MD_ROOT			# MD is a potential root device
options 	NFSCLIENT		# Network Filesystem Client
options 	MSDOSFS			# MSDOS Filesystem
options 	CD9660			# ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			# Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options 	PSEUDOFS		# Pseudo-filesystem framework
options 	COMPAT_43		# Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD4		# Compatible with FreeBSD4
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD5		# Compatible with FreeBSD5
options 	SCSI_DELAY=5000		# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI

device		apic			# I/O APIC

# Bus support.
device		pci

# Floppy drives
device		fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device		ata
device		atadisk		# ATA disk drives
device		ataraid		# ATA RAID drives
device		atapicd		# ATAPI CDROM drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID	# Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device		ch		# SCSI media changers
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
device		sa		# Sequential Access (tape etc)
device		cd		# CD
device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
#device		ses		# SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device		atkbdc		# AT keyboard controller
device		atkbd		# AT keyboard
device		psm		# PS/2 mouse

device		kbdmux		# keyboard multiplexer

device		vga		# VGA video card driver

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc

device		agp		# support several AGP chipsets

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio		# 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device		ppc
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer

device		miibus		# MII bus support
device		nve		# nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet Networking

# Pseudo devices.
device		loop		# Network loopback
device		random		# Entropy device
device		ether		# Ethernet support
device		pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device		md		# Memory "disks"

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device		bpf		# Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ehci		# EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
device		ugen		# Generic
device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
device		ukbd		# Keyboard
device		ulpt		# Printer
device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device		ums		# Mouse
device		uscanner	# Scanners

---------------------------- end of kernel config --------------------

MAKE.CONF

CPUTYPE?=athlon64
#NO_CPU_CFLAGS=		# Don't add -march=<cpu> to CFLAGS automatically
#NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=	# Don't add -march=<cpu> to COPTFLAGS automatically
#
# CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.
# Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not recommended
# or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any
# nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" or -O2 before submitting bug
# reports without patches to the developers.
#
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
#
# CXXFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C++ code.
# Note that CXXFLAGS is initially set to the value of CFLAGS.  If you wish
# to add to CXXFLAGS value, "+=" must be used rather than "=".  Using "="
# alone will remove the often needed contents of CFLAGS from CXXFLAGS.
#
#CXXFLAGS+= -fconserve-space
#
# MAKE_SHELL controls the shell used internally by make(1) to process the
# command scripts in makefiles.  Three shells are supported, sh, ksh, and
# csh.  Using sh is most common, and advised.  Using ksh *may* work, but is
# not guaranteed to.  Using csh is absurd.  The default is to use sh.
#
MAKE_SHELL?=sh
#
# BDECFLAGS are a set of gcc warning settings that Bruce Evans has suggested
# for use in developing FreeBSD and testing changes.  They can be used by
# putting "CFLAGS+=${BDECFLAGS}" in /etc/make.conf.  -Wconversion is not
# included here due to compiler bugs, e.g., mkdir()'s mode_t argument.
#
#BDECFLAGS=	-W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align \
#		-Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
#		-Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
#		-Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings
#
# To compile just the kernel with special optimizations, you should use
# this instead of CFLAGS (which is not applicable to kernel builds anyway).
# There is very little to gain by using higher optimization levels, and
doing
# so can cause problems.
#
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
#
# Compare before install
#INSTALL=install -C
#
# Mtree will follow symlinks
#MTREE_FOLLOWS_SYMLINKS= -L
#
# To enable installing ssh(1) with the setuid bit turned on
#ENABLE_SUID_SSH=
#
# To enable installing newgrp(1) with the setuid bit turned on.
# Without the setuid bit, newgrp cannot change users' groups.
#ENABLE_SUID_NEWGRP=
#
# To avoid building various parts of the base system:
NO_ATM="YES"		# do not build ATM related programs and libraries
NO_BLUETOOTH="YES"		# do not build Bluetooth related stuff
NO_FORTRAN="YES"		# do not build g77 and related libraries
NO_GAMES="YES"		# do not build games (games/ subdir)
NO_I4B="YES"		# do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_INET6="YES"		# do not build IPv6 related programs and libraries
NO_IPFILTER="YES"		# do not build IP Filter package
NO_LPR="YES"		# do not build lpr and related programs
NO_NIS="YES"		# do not build NIS support and related programs.
NO_PROFILE="YES"		# Avoid compiling profiled libraries
NO_RCMDS="YES"		# do not build or install BSD r* commands (rsh, etc).
NO_SENDMAIL="YES"		# do not build sendmail and related programs

NO_BIND="YES"		# Do not build any part of BIND

WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg
# added by use.perl 2006-11-05 21:17:44
PERL_VER=5.8.8