Does Firefox run on the SPARC64 port of FreeBSD?

Christian Baer christian.baer at informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Jan 16 14:58:25 UTC 2007

Greetings fellow computer haters! :-)

As I have already written on the STABLE mailing list, I can't seem to
get Firefox to start on my Sun U60. Thunderbird works fine (as far as I
can tell after two days), but Firefox just exits instantly with a segfault.

I didn't get any replies from the STABLE list, but I got a few ideas
from a German newsgroup. On of these ideas was that Firefox may not run
at all unter FreeBSD SPARC64. The reason given was that outside of the
common plattforms (i386, AMD64 and maybe alpha) much of the ports world
is untestet.

To be honest, I find that a little hard to believe for Firefox. If we
were talking about some application that is rarely used at all, sure.
But Firefox should be quite common - one would think anyway.

Well, just to rule out this possibility, I tought I'd just ask around if
anyone got Firefox to run on FreeBSD 6.1 SPARC64.

Hit me with answers! :-)

Regards
Chris