DNS Resolver Problem

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 16 10:11:56 UTC 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 10:47 PM, Bob McIsaac wrote:

> linux quest wrote:
>> Dear Jay & The FreeBSD Communities,
>>
>> Thanks for putting your time and patience to help me out. Anyway,
>> I tried it out, both changing the rc.conf and the dhclient.conf
>> (one at a time). After that (for both of the ways), I did manage
>> to stop the resolv.conf from being overwritten after the PC
>> reboot. However, when I ping 192.168.52.1 or 192.168.52.2, the
>> error msg says that there is no route to both of the IP. Even
>> after I add the default route by using command line ... I am still
>> unable to ping google.com.
>>
>> Then, I undo everything by using VMWare... (including undo the
>> DHCP configuration in rc.conf) so that I am able to ping
>> google.com again.
>> Since, I desperately needed to connect to the Internet at this
>> point of time, I create a file called resolv.conf in /root ... I
>> am thinking how can I create a script so that it can copy
>> resolv.conf from /root to /etc/resolv.conf every 30 minutes at
>> start up - This is because I don't wanna manually type in "cp /
>> root/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf" every 30 minutes.
>>
>> Hope somebody can share with me the simple coding. Thanks :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Linux Quest
>>
>> Jay Chandler <chandler at chapman.edu> wrote: Please don't top-post.
>>
>> linux quest wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jay,
>>>
>>> Actually, I am running FreeBSD Unix on a VMWare machine (Host OS:
>>> Win2003, Guest OS: FreeBSD).
>>>
>>> Any ideas how I can disable / ignore the routing from the VMnet8?
>>> Below are the only VMWare NAT configuration that I have access
>>> to. No DHCP enable / disable option.
>>>

>>> Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:
>>>
>>>    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>>>    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.52.1
>>>    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
>>>    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.52.2
>>>

>>> When I install FreeBSD, I remember I did select some option to
>>> enable DHCP. Perhaps, I should disable the DHCP service in FreeBSD
>>> (Guest OS) - if so, any idea how do I do it?
>>>
>>> Thanks :)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Linux Quest
>>>

>> Simple enough, then.
>> Edit /etc/rc.conf, and remove the line relating to the dhcp
>> client.  Then add:
>> defaultrouter="192.168.51.2"
>> hostname="boxname!"
>> ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.52.WHATEVERYOUWANT  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>>

> Hi:
>
> DHCP intends that everything works easily.  However, if the DHCP
> lease is unsatisfactory, you can
> change it after doing man dhclient.conf.   Can you post /var/db/
> dhclient.leases? Also,  in one shell
> type "tcpdump -v -c 20" and in another do ping or click a web
> page.  Finally, "netstat -r"
>
> regards,
> -Bob-

	defaultrouter should match the gateway IP address for the virtual
interface you're using in FreeBSD under vmware; defaultrouter is an
alias for the default route use by the kernel for directing packets
(this can be viewed by looking at netstat -nr and looking for the
default route, or "route show default"--more verbose output). The
subnet/IP should match something similar to what's provided with
DHCP--just in static form (which /etc/rc.conf will provide).
-Garrett