Compiling mtr without GUI

Christian Baer christian.baer at informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Jan 16 00:19:22 UTC 2007

Hi there Peeps!

Somehow the mtr-port is bugging me a little. I want to install mtr on a
machine with no keyboard and no monitor and thus no X - and I'd like to
keep it that way. Since I couldn't find a package of mtr without the
GUI, I guess, I'm stuck with the port.

I've looked at the makefile and found the variable WITHOUT_X11. However,
a 'make -D WITHOUT_X11' and a 'make WITHOUT_X11=1' both[1] result in X.org
being downloaded and built. Now I am no real expert on makefiles but
AFAIK in this case it shouldn't matter, what value WITHOUT_X11 has, as
long as it is set at all.

Am I too thick to be getting the point here or have I missed something
not all that obvious?

Don't think it matters but the Plattform is SPARC64 and the Version is
6.1-RELEASE (no cvsup run yet).

Regards
Chris

[1] Both should actually do the same thing.