Is it possible to have Diskless workstation in freebsd

applecom at inbox.ru applecom at inbox.ru
Tue Jan 16 00:12:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 04:18:21 +0500, Dak Ghatikachalam
<dghatikachalam at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a need to setup 3 workstations to boot remotely without any ( OS)
> on
> local disks,
>
> What are ways to go about achieving that,
>
> I want the users to have all their utilities and files stores all back
> stored in the remote server.
>
> But confusion how the OS going to detect the correct local Hardware
> resources for it to run  right drivers, example being the VGA driver,
> local
> keyboard and mouse.

There is a "27.6 Diskless Operation" paragraph in FreeBSD Handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-diskless.html)
and article "Diskless X Server: a how to guide"
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/diskless-x/index.html).
Maybe it helps.