FreeBSD 6.2, rebuild. NO-MMX, NO-SSE?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Jan 15 20:38:05 UTC 2007

Daniel Tourde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I rebuit FreeBSD 6.2 using CPUTYPE=pentium4 and the classic
> procedure described in the manual.
> The machine (Inspiron 9400) is fast but I saw at certain moments something
> like "NO-MMX, NO-SSE" (some flags or variables) during the compilation
> process. I thought then "How come? What a pity not to use these
> instructions".
>
> Can someone tell me what it was and if it is really supposed to be like this?
> My roots are in Gentoo Linux where it is possible to get the maximum out of a
> processor when building a system from scratch by using properly certain C and
> C++ flags.
>
> I am pretty sure the same is possible with FreeBSD, however these
> aforementionned flags raised some questions in my mind... ;)
>

> Daniel

Certain optimizations aren't built into any kernel--be it Linux or
FreeBSD--as the optimizations may break the kernel compilation process.
You just don't see the majority of those messages flying by in a Linux
kernel compile ;).

As a fellow former-Gentoo user I suggest you also read these threads:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-December/018966.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-January/139260.html

Cheers,
-Garrett