advice on compiling a new kernel & upgrading to the latest sources

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Jan 14 20:58:02 UTC 2007

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Sunday 14 January 2007 15:44, kbtrace wrote:
>
>> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>>> No it doesn't.  CVSup will delete the files it doesn't know about, so
>>> you should *SAVE a copy* of your favorite kernel config file outside of
>>> the source tree and *copy* it into `/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf' after
>>> CVSup finishes updates the sources.
>>>
>> But in my practice, CVSup did nothing with my own kernel config file.
>> In my memory, cvs did nothing with the files not in the source tree.
>>

> Generally speaking, CVSup will delete files it doesn't know about. However,
> all of the src/sys/<arch>/conf directories have .cvsignore files in them
> which prevents this behavior.
>
> JN
This line in the cvsup file changes that behavior (from
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html>):

*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress

Don't want stuff deleted when cvsup runs (not wise, but you can do it)?,
remove the delete keyword in your cvsup file.

-Garrett