[OT] advice on wikis and bulletin boards

bobmc bobmc at bobmc.net
Sat Jan 13 04:32:30 UTC 2007

I installed Apache and http://www.oddmuse.org/cgi-bin/wiki on FreeBSD.
You have to install it in cgi-bin, create group www, and look at httpd.conf
to see where files should be.  I also used it to create a website....
http://www.bobmc.net/cgi-bin/Goalie.pl/WikiVerse

There are tons of wikis available. The most famous is MediaWiki for
Wikipedia.  But oddmuse is only one Perl script that works anywhere.

MoinMoin has a nice balance between eyecandy and ease of use. You see it
on some open-source sites. I also like DokuWiki

Since it is so easy to create wiki pages, the challenge is to prevent a
spaghetti-ball forming. Read all about it starting at
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WelcomeVisitors where it all started
Also, a wiki is social software which some people are shy about using.
Setting one up is like boiling a frog,  you have to do it slowly.

For minutes of meetings you can setup a mailing list like this one but
in notification mode.

For documentation, several dedicated wikis can be setup. Think about
a page naming scheme that is consistent for your purpose.

Cheers,
-BobMc-