automake19: texinfo error during build

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Jan 13 03:45:36 UTC 2007

On 2007-01-12 22:26, Mahmoud Labadi <mlabadi at hadara.ps> wrote:
> Dear ALL,
> I got the same problem... any news plz
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my automake from 1.8.5_2 to 1.9.6 (in
> order to install Subversion, which seems to require
> this). During the build, I get a screenful of errors like
>
> ./automake19.texi:8788: Unknown command `tie'.
> ./automake19.texi:8788: Misplaced {.
> ./automake19.texi:8788: Misplaced }.
> ./automake19.texi:9090: Unknown command `tie'.
> [...]
>
> before dying with
>
> ---
> makeinfo: Removing output file `./automake19.info' due to errors; use --force to preserve.
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/automake19/work/automake-1.9.6/doc.
> *** Error code 1

FYI, I think you are attacking the problem the wrong way:

1. Don't use the devel/automake19 port for development work with automake.

   AFAIK, this port is not a full automake19 package, but a special port
   of automake, which provides just barely enough automake support for
   the Ports tree.

   For local automake-based development, you should either use the
   devel/gnu-automake port instead, or roll your own installation of
   automake and friends, from a clean source tarball of automake-1.9.6

2. Why do you have to install automake19 for Subversion?

   Does the devel/subversion port require it?  I don't see a dependency
   for automake in `ports/devel/subversion/Makefile'.