How dangerous a Standard User could be to a FreeBSD box?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jan 12 02:05:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 08:52:44AM -0500, Nathan Vidican wrote:
> Gotcha all beat, screw the 'standard user' issue... I had a client
> call
> me once cause the office cat peed onto/into the server; no technical
> expertise required whatsoever, no password, no re-wiring of network,
> heck no opposable digits even or anything else for that matter, yet it
> still managed to kill the server ;)

That cat is rather fortunate the server didn't kill the cat at the
same time.

[ Standard computer PSUs use a high-voltage switching power supply
design that really should not be peed upon, although I suppose the
flyback transformer inside a CRT would be considerably more dangerous. ]

--
-Chuck

PS: I betcha the client thought the whole matter was a
"catastrophe"...  :-)