Dell PE 1950 - Only seeing 3.2 gigs of ram

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Fri Jan 12 01:09:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 19:46, Jay Chandler wrote:

> On a related note for this hardware platform, has anyone gotten
> past the "randomly decides not to reboot when told to" issue?
> Requires a hard shutdown by hand, as the console becomes completely
> non-responsive.

I've heard of this problem, some people have it all the time and
others don't have it at all on the PE 1950.  I suspect it has
something to do with the way Dell will occassionally change hardware
mid-run and not tell anyone. :)

The solution is to enable the IPMI board and use that to reboot it.
(Dell calls it a BMC but you can access it with standard IPMI
utilities)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel