Dell PE 1950 - Only seeing 3.2 gigs of ram

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Wed Jan 10 22:42:23 UTC 2007

Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I put a fresh install of 6.1-RELEASE on a dell poweredge 1950 server.
> It's configured with 4 gigs of ram.
>
> However when I boot i get the following right before DMESG
>
> 786432k above 4GB ignored
>
> Which is strange, but then dmesg shows this
>
> real memory  = 3489300480 (3327 MB)
> avail memory = 3414659072 (3256 MB)
>
> Soo I'm at a bit of a loss.

You're using the 32-bit version, right? The design of x86 architecture
(i.e. it's not FreeBSD's problem) is such that a part of memory
addresses needs to be set aside for hardware uses, such as the PCI bus,
AGP memory & others. This manifests as "holes" in memory that are not
accessible to OS.

There are two possible solutions: you may try compiling a 32-bit kernel
with PAE (but not all drivers support PAE), or install the 64-bit
version of FreeBSD.