Simple DoS

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Jan 10 18:12:25 UTC 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 6:53 AM, Nejc Škoberne wrote:
> yesterday one of our clients did something interesting (stupid): they
> connected both ends of an UTP cable to the same switch, to which our
> FreeBSD server was also connected.  [ ... ]
> Any ideas how to prevent such situations in the future? (I would like
> to do it on the server side, not on the "user side".)

This isn't a FreeBSD-specific issue, but a matter of controlling
access to the central networking hardware to only those qualified to
deal with it.  However, if you purchase higher-quality smart
switches, they implement the spanning tree protocol to detect and
break loops like the one you've described.

--
-Chuck