is THIS why the 6.2 release seems stalled ?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 06:48:41 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 05:07:08PM -0600, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> >
> > Why then?
>
> Various administrative delays, mostly.  e.g. the main ftp distribution
> server had hardware failure for a few weeks.

Shit happens and we did just change out the core team, specifically
the release engineering team... so that's understandable... I guess my
comment was mainly targeted at the general state of affairs for the
last two years.

> > Are you guys ever going to do something about Xorg DRI/DRM
> > for Radeon cards, Java, and Flash support? More importantly:
> > 1. Xen Dom0 support?
> > 2. Fix SATA RAID driver problems?
> > 3. Better chipset support for new 51xx Xeon and Core 2 Duo systems?
> > 4. ZFS support?
> > 5. Better support for 2TB, or greater, RAID arrays: (fsck, etc.)?
> > 6. Speed up GigE and 10GigE stuff? checksum offloading, Interrupt load
> > problems, packet processing speed, etc?
> > 7. Better SMP support, GIANT lock in RAID/LAN drivers, etc...
>
> Some of these are already there, some are in progress, etc.

I haven't been keeping track lately but that's good if true. Will see
what happens when I upgrade my servers.

> > Why should I continue using FreeBSD when the project never delivers on
> > it promises?
>
> If you're unhappy, there's the door.  Pandering to complainers isn't
> high on my personal list of interests.

I am unhappy but I care too much about FreeBSD to just up and leave,
it may be time for a sabbatical though... And I complain because I
care... like a parent.