make.conf and building multiple kernels and worlds

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Tue Jan 9 16:21:28 UTC 2007

i am finally looking at make.conf and how editing it could improve my
system(s).

1) does specifying a cpu architecture really help?
2) if i am building for a p4-540 (nacona?), a p3, and a p4-xeon, what
problems am i setting myself up for by specifying a cpu type on my build
box?

at this point, im wondering how to go about building for more than one
architecture effectively.  right now, i build one world, and 3 different
kernels, but they are all build with generic options.

just wondering how i can effectivly leverage my build server to have the
best compile options for my target boxes.

any suggestions?

thanks,
jonathan