Nmap Scan from FreeBSD OS - Coding Question

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 12:59:56 UTC 2007

linux quest wrote:
> I am currently doing a simple penetration testing for my company in a LAN environment. Yes, I have already downloaded NMap by using the 'make install' command... and it did fetched the required files from insecure.org successfully.
>
> My question will be, how can I create a Network Program in .c that will invoke the
nmap capabilities to scan the network or computers? Example, lets say, I
want an automated nmap scan to run on FreeBSD to scan 192.168.1.10 and
192.168.1.11 , every morning at 10am - may I know how do I achieve that?
I hope someone can show me a simple coding to invoke nmap scan, thanks :)

you dont really need c for this, a simple shell script run from cron
would do fine.
something like
===========start==============
#!/bin/sh

TARGETS="192.168.1.10 192.168.1.11"
NMAP="/usr/local/bin/nmap"
NMAPOPTIONS=""
RECEPIENTS="someone at somewhere.com"
SUBJECT="namp scan results"

$NMAP $NMAPOPTIONS $TARGETS | /usr/bin/mail -s "$SUBJECT" $RECEPIENTS
save that somewhere and remember to chmod it to be executable

add a line like
1       10       *       *       *     /path/to/script

to the appropriate users crontab
(change /path/to/script to the location of the script)

and you should get the output emailed to you every morning.

Vince