Sierra Wireless Card AC860 how to get the working in freebsd.

Dak Ghatikachalam dghatikachalam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 04:28:22 UTC 2007

Hi Freebsd

I have been breaking my head intermittently over this for months, so far I
had no success  getting this Sierra Wireless card ,  to Cingular ISP

This card is 3G card  works on my other winXP partition,  I have become very
uneasy to continue to use this only in windows

because of reliability/security  concerns I want this card working in my
Freebsd OS, I wanted to wean away from windows XP as soon as possible. which
I using  now to access just to connect while travelling, which is too much
pain.

My buddy Paul Pathiakis told to post this issue here as someone of you may
have been in same situation.

I added the quircks  for the kernel  and had rebuild the kernal
successfully,  looking as /var/log/messages, makes sense it is detecting the
card.
now I am puzzled how to get this dialled and get it working. he also said we
may need a device driver.

When I called Cingular they said me to use

Tel# to dial : *99***1
username: ispda at cingulargprs.com
password: CINGULAR1

As you see below I tried putting them up these entries in ppp.conf file.

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)

 # Ensure that "device" references the correct serial port
 # for your modem. (cuad0 = COM1, cuad1 = COM2)
 #
 #set device /dev/cuad1
 set device /dev/cuad4

 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set timeout 180                        # 3 minute idle timer (the default)
 #enable dns                            # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

cingular:
 #
 # edit the next three lines and replace the items in caps with
 # the values which have been assigned by your ISP.
 #
set phone *99***1#
 set authname ispda at cingulargprs.com
 set authkey CINGULAR1
 set login "TIMEOUT 10 \"\"\"\" gin:--gin: \\U ispda at cingulargprs.com: \\P
col:
CINGULAR1"
 set timeout 300

#APN:ISP.CINGULAR
 #set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.255
 add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route

kernel log /var/log/messages

Jan  8 19:28:04 DAK kernel: sio4: <Sierra Wireless AC860> at port
0x3e8-0x3ee ir
q 22 function 0 config 32 on pccard0
Jan  8 19:28:04 DAK kernel: sio4: type 8250 or not responding
Jan  8 19:28:04 DAK kernel: sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode
- us
ing normal mode

====-----------------------------
# ppp congular
congular: Configuration label not found
# ppp cingular
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0/0 already exists
ppp ON DAK> connect cingular
Warning: connect: Invalid command
Warning: connect: Failed 1
ppp ON DAK> ok connect
Warning: ok: Invalid command
Warning: ok: Failed 1
ppp ON DAK> at
Warning: at: Invalid command
Warning: at: Failed 1
ppp ON DAK> help
(o) = Optional context, (c) = Context required
accept(o)   : accept option request
add         : add route
allow       : Allow ppp access
bg          : Run a background command
clear(o)    : Clear throughput statistics
clone(c)    : Clone a link
close(o)    : Close an FSM
delete      : delete route
deny(o)     : Deny option request
dial(o)     : Dial and login
disable(o)  : Disable option
down(o)     : Generate a down event
enable(o)   : Enable option
ident(c)    : Set the link identity
iface       : interface control
link        : Link specific commands
load(o)     : Load settings
log(o)      : log information
nat         : NAT control
open(o)     : Open an FSM
quit        : Quit PPP program
remove(c)   : Remove a link
rename(c)   : Rename a link
resolv      : Manipulate resolv.conf
save        : Save settings
sendident(c): Transmit the link identity
set(o)      : Set parameters
shell       : Run a subshell
show(o)     : Show status and stats
term(c)     : Enter terminal mode
help        : Display this message
ppp ON DAK> show
Use ``show ?'' to get a list.
ppp ON DAK> show ?
(o) = Optional context, (c) = Context required
bundle     : bundle details         ccp(o)     : CCP status
compress   : VJ compression stats   escape(c)  : escape characters
filter     : packet filters         hdlc(c)    : HDLC errors
iface      : Interface status       ipcp       : IPCP status
ipv6cp     : IPV6CP status          layers(o)  : Protocol layers
lcp(c)     : LCP status             link(c)    : (high-level) link info
links      : available link names   log        : log levels
mem        : mbuf allocations       ncp        : NCP status
physical(c): (low-level) link info  mp         : multilink setup
proto(o)   : protocol summary       route      : routing table
stopped(c) : STOPPED timeout        timers     : alarm timers
version    : version string         who        : client list
help       : Display this message
ppp ON DAK> show link
Name: deflink
 State:              closed
 Peer name:          N/A
 Discriminator:      Null Class

Defaults:
 Phone List:         *99***1
 Dial tries:         1, delay 3s/30s
 Reconnect tries:    0, delay 3s
 Callback requested: none
 Dial Script:        ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5            "" AT
OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \dATDT\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT
 Login Script:       TIMEOUT 10 """" gin:--gin: \U ispda at cingulargprs.com:
\P col: CINGULAR1
 Logout Script:
 Hangup Script:
ppp ON DAK>

------------------

$ ifconfig
fwe0: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 06:e4:0a:19:50:37
        ch 1 dma -1
rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        inet6 fe80::20a:e4ff:fed7:bb00%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet 192.168.1.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        ether 00:0a:e4:d7:bb:00
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
        status: no carrier
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1412
        Opened by PID 1271
$

tun0 is the one I expecting to have the connecting be made,

rl0 is the physical etherney connection I have on me from the cable
modem/router.

 file I added the QUirks I addded before rebuilding the kernel

/src/sys/dev/pccard/pccard_cis_quirks.c,v 1.16 2005/09/20 1
0:25:51 glebius Exp $");

Please advise how to get this card working if you have faced before.

Thanks
Dak