USB drive is a CDROM drive and is not writable

Michael M. Press deathjestr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 23:30:10 UTC 2007

> This sounds like a "Smart" drive - can you confirm?

I plugged it into a Windows system and it also recognized a CD drive.
In addition, it vomited out a few popup windows and started something
in the system tray. This is so ingenious that I think it must be a 'smart'
drive. An article from the following URL tells me it is a 'U3 smart drive':
http://www.everythingusb.com/u3.html

I didn't know such a thing existed before today.

> I have one of these devices myself and simply removed the Smart
> partition to reclaim the space it takes up.

Apparently there is a U3 uninstaller:
http://www.u3.com/uninstall/default.aspx

Thanks for the responses everyone. My confusion is gone.